Asthma & Hydration: Importance of hydration for asthmaApr 17, 2023
Staying hydrated is important for everyone, but it can be particularly important for people with asthma. Here are some reasons why hydration is important for asthma:
- Helps loosen mucus: Drinking plenty of fluids can help loosen mucus in the airways, making it easier to cough up and clear from the lungs.
- Keeps airways moist: When the airways are dry, it can make it more difficult to breathe. Drinking enough fluids can help keep the airways moist and reduce irritation.
- Prevents dehydration: Dehydration can worsen asthma symptoms, as it can cause the airways to constrict and make it more difficult to breathe. Staying hydrated can help prevent dehydration and reduce the risk of asthma flare-ups.
- Improves lung function: Studies have shown that dehydration can reduce lung function, particularly in people with asthma. Drinking enough fluids can help improve lung function and reduce asthma symptoms.
- Helps with medication effectiveness: Many asthma medications, such as inhaled corticosteroids, work best when the airways are moist. Staying hydrated can help ensure that these medications are as effective as possible.
Overall, staying hydrated is an important part of managing asthma symptoms. It is recommended that adults drink at least eight cups of water per day, and more if they are physically active or in hot weather. If you have asthma, talk to your doctor about how much fluid you should be drinking each day to manage your symptoms.